Skip to main content

Self Love 02•01•2019




Why Self Love was so important for my growth as a woman

I spent so many years trying to convince other people to love me.  Living up to their expectations, doing what they told me was right, trying to convince everybody but my damn self to love me.  I had no idea the years of damage that was piling while I was on this people pleasing binge.  After spending a year alone, away from the very people I was trying to please, I had what Oprah would call an “Ah ha” moment.  I had spent over 33 years cheating myself! I had a budget for everything including the way I loved myself.  I decided to put all that energy that I was giving to other people into convincing myself just how important I was.

Self Care
My first focus was my body.  When I say my body, I don’t mean my physical appearance but the actual body itself.  I had treated my own body so bad for over 30 years.  Filling it with unclean things like liquor and unhealthy eating habits. I changed my way of thinking because I now looked at my body from a different perspective and realized it was gifted to me and I was only going to get one.  I decided to start fresh by doing the following:
I gave up pork, cow meat and am currently trying to let go of turkey.  
I let go of the way I drank liquor, keeping consumption to a minimum.  
I minimized my caffeine intake by not drinking sodas and only drinking decaf coffee. 
I added a larger water intake.
I invested in multi vitamins and probiotics to help with my energy,  all of that bad eating and drinking had drained me.  
I walked my dog at least 3 times a day.  I work from home so getting out of the house as much as possible was essential.  
I started caring more about skin care. Investing in facial cleanser, moisturizers and exfoliates.  
I stopped adding chemicals to my hair and fell in love with my extra kinky 4c texture hair.  I taught myself to french braid and protected it’s health by investing in custom units. 
It may seem like a lot but it’s crazy how we treat our bodies.  If we owned a Mc Laren we would wash it everyday, get it detailed, put the highest grade of gas and oils in it and keep the insides spotless.  Why do we treat our bodies lesser than?

Treating my body better wasn’t my only focus.  I had to focus on my mind.  As an over-thinker, I spent way too much time worrying about the wrong things.  I had to shift my focus to other subjects.  I got with a close friend and we started listening to different books.  We are full time moms, with full time jobs so reading an actual book is unrealistic. There’s no time.  I’m so happy we did it because we had other things to talk about.  Worrying about outside influence was the last thing on our minds.  You can download the Overdrive app and connect it to your local library and read good books for free (you know how much I love free). 

Last but not least, I told myself was I was going to continue to do things I love without worrying about how somebody else felt about it.  That included traveling as much as I wanted to, dressing how I wanted to and dating who I wanted to.  It wasn’t until I started focusing more on me that I fell in love with me.  Once you fall in love with yourself nobody can short you on the love you deserve.  That includes family, friends and partners.  Don’t get me wrong I still have my insecurities, but those are insecurities created by me and not from the influence of someone else.  I’m still a work in progress when it comes to my overthinking and I’m constantly trying to control my cravings for a filet o fish meal at McDonald’s but nobody is going to give me less than what I deserve.  Learning that was extremely important.  When your insecurities outweigh the love you have for yourself you tolerate way more than you should.  The stuff I put up with is too embarrassing to blog about trust me. I put up with it because I didn’t know any better.  I had no idea what type of love I should’ve been receiving because I wasn’t giving it to myself.  I’m in a space where I’m ready to receive love the right way.  At the point in my life I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love after a Fuck Boy/Girl

So you finally did it. You finally ended that bittersweet toxic relationship and it probably took you 20 tries to get it right. None of that matters. Only thing that matters now is you’re free. If you’ve been in this situation like I have, you know leaving that person alone is actually easier than moving on. It’s funny because I know that you’ve picked yourself up, stared at yourself in the mirror like: “It’s on”, “I’m about to fuck the summer up”, “I’m out here”.    You bought all the nicest outfits, reinvented your entire look, bought tickets to the hottest beaches and had a great couple of months after your breakup.  One day, after all the fun and all the trips, something triggered you. Whether it was a holiday, a wedding, or a baby shower. Something clicked, and you’re like ok I’m ready to try this shit again.  Now that you've established that you’re ready to start dating again.  You get the ball rolling however you do it.  Sliding in DM’s, Tinder, Airdrop in the c

Toxicity 1•20•2019

So we are over half way through the first month of 2019.    How many people have you actually cut off like you told all of your social media followers you would?    If your answer is no don’t feel bad.    You’re only a small percent of the millions of people being victimized by toxicity.    I also have been blinded by toxic friends, lovers, jobs and family members.    Whether you like to admit it or not, keeping toxicity around us rubs off.    You may not realize it, but because of your interactions with toxic situations and toxic people, you have acquired some toxic traits.    Hopefully after reading this article we will all start the process of removing toxicity from our lives, but I hope we also are able to identify our own toxic characteristics and avoid victimizing other people and being apart of the never ending circle. There are so many toxic situations surrounding us but the most popular are friends, lovers, family members and jobs.    Within all of these situations I’

Relocating 01•10•2019

So you’re thinking about relocating?    My first question to you would be why?!    You may be asking yourself ‘Who died and made her the relocation expert?’ ‘Why does she want to know my reasons for moving?’    Let me say this, I’ve been in your shoes, twice. My first move from home wasn’t as successful and it was partially because I was running away from something. When we run away from things we are so focused on putting the present behind us that we have little time to think about the future.    We just want to wake up somewhere else and not have to deal with what’s going on at home.    My first move, I packed my things, ran out on my lease, and moved with family “until I got on my feet”.    Listen, everything I just said is a recipe for disaster!    I’ve been in the sunshine state for over 3 years now and wanted to share how I got here.  Do your research! Before I moved I went to Barnes and Noble and bought 3 books on Florida. I needed questions answered and to make sure t