Skip to main content

Cosmetic Surgery Taboos 02•28•2019



Cosmetic surgery.  What’s your stance on the subject? Do you think the stigma surrounding the subject is justified or do you believe it’s a bit excessive? I recently had a procedure performed and even though I knew I was going forward with the surgery for myself and that it was something I’d been wanting forever, I found myself lying to people about it, even treating it as if it was a secret and not telling certain people. It made me think, why is plastic surgery so taboo?
When I was pregnant, I developed a bad case of anxiety that I wasn’t really able shake. If you’re a close friend of mine this is no secret to you. Starting with insomnia, my anxiety developed into full blown trichotillomania. I began to pull out hairs from my eyebrows and eyelashes. I was never treated for this condition, partially because mental health wasn’t really taught in school, for years I had no idea what anxiety was. Nobody was there to tell me what I was dealing with and in the black community we are told to give everything to God. The years of pulling at my eyelashes really took a toll on my eyes. My eyes had gotten puffy and I started to look tired all the time. I began to research all of my solutions. I invested in so many over the counter eye creams, I tried drinking more water, spent hundreds on expensive prescribed only creams from plastic surgery spas, I even tried preparation H! Nothing was working. Watching you tube tutorials on concealing my eyes were pointless. I decided to go a step further and get fillers. Fillers are pretty expensive. They can run you anywhere from 350-500 per vial and they aren’t permanent. That’s a lot of money spent on the upkeep. The fillers work. They are injected under your eyes and fill in the lines between your lower lid and cheeks. Although it worked, I couldn’t see myself spending all that money on something temporary. I did more research and came across a procedure called blepharoplasty.  This is a permanent procedure performed under general anesthesia where all of the fat is removed from your upper and lower lid. The price for the procedure can run anywhere from 2900.00-5500.00. The recovery time is extremely short and so if the surgery. For years I’ve been wanting this surgery and decided to move forward with it.

I started my research and met with numerous doctors. I live in a city where plastic surgery is in high demand so there is always a deal or a promotional email available for redeeming. I had to stop listening to people who paid thousands of dollars to the first doctor that they sat down with. Paying a higher price does NOT guarantee you a better surgeon. I needed credentials, I needed history, I needed a patient/doctor connection. A lot of the surgeons in Miami don’t own their own practice and are contracted through different clinics and can afford to offer surgeries at lower prices, although it wasn’t an option I went with, I know people who did and they’re surgeries turned out better than people who told me they paid top dollar. I decided to go with the chief of a private practice and couldn’t be happier with my decision.

Knowing all I’d been through, why did I feel ashamed like I had to lie about moving forward with the surgery? I’ve listened to my friends complain about something on their body and when they finally get it fixed they can’t share it with the world without everybody saying they don’t love themselves. Everybody alive has insecurities, some choose to live with it and others don’t. Choosing to live and accept your flaws does NOT make you a better person. It takes a lot to actually go through with a surgery, especially the recovery. It’s not easy. Not everyone wants plastic surgery for attention. Most people who choose surgery, choose for themselves. Check back later in the week, I’ll be sharing my recovery journey with you all. Feel free to reach out with your questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love after a Fuck Boy/Girl

So you finally did it. You finally ended that bittersweet toxic relationship and it probably took you 20 tries to get it right. None of that matters. Only thing that matters now is you’re free. If you’ve been in this situation like I have, you know leaving that person alone is actually easier than moving on. It’s funny because I know that you’ve picked yourself up, stared at yourself in the mirror like: “It’s on”, “I’m about to fuck the summer up”, “I’m out here”.    You bought all the nicest outfits, reinvented your entire look, bought tickets to the hottest beaches and had a great couple of months after your breakup.  One day, after all the fun and all the trips, something triggered you. Whether it was a holiday, a wedding, or a baby shower. Something clicked, and you’re like ok I’m ready to try this shit again.  Now that you've established that you’re ready to start dating again.  You get the ball rolling however you do it.  Sliding in DM’s, Tinder, Airdrop in the c

Toxicity 1•20•2019

So we are over half way through the first month of 2019.    How many people have you actually cut off like you told all of your social media followers you would?    If your answer is no don’t feel bad.    You’re only a small percent of the millions of people being victimized by toxicity.    I also have been blinded by toxic friends, lovers, jobs and family members.    Whether you like to admit it or not, keeping toxicity around us rubs off.    You may not realize it, but because of your interactions with toxic situations and toxic people, you have acquired some toxic traits.    Hopefully after reading this article we will all start the process of removing toxicity from our lives, but I hope we also are able to identify our own toxic characteristics and avoid victimizing other people and being apart of the never ending circle. There are so many toxic situations surrounding us but the most popular are friends, lovers, family members and jobs.    Within all of these situations I’

Relocating 01•10•2019

So you’re thinking about relocating?    My first question to you would be why?!    You may be asking yourself ‘Who died and made her the relocation expert?’ ‘Why does she want to know my reasons for moving?’    Let me say this, I’ve been in your shoes, twice. My first move from home wasn’t as successful and it was partially because I was running away from something. When we run away from things we are so focused on putting the present behind us that we have little time to think about the future.    We just want to wake up somewhere else and not have to deal with what’s going on at home.    My first move, I packed my things, ran out on my lease, and moved with family “until I got on my feet”.    Listen, everything I just said is a recipe for disaster!    I’ve been in the sunshine state for over 3 years now and wanted to share how I got here.  Do your research! Before I moved I went to Barnes and Noble and bought 3 books on Florida. I needed questions answered and to make sure t