Skip to main content

Relocating 01•10•2019



So you’re thinking about relocating?  My first question to you would be why?!  You may be asking yourself ‘Who died and made her the relocation expert?’ ‘Why does she want to know my reasons for moving?’  Let me say this, I’ve been in your shoes, twice. My first move from home wasn’t as successful and it was partially because I was running away from something. When we run away from things we are so focused on putting the present behind us that we have little time to think about the future.  We just want to wake up somewhere else and not have to deal with what’s going on at home.  My first move, I packed my things, ran out on my lease, and moved with family “until I got on my feet”.  Listen, everything I just said is a recipe for disaster!  I’ve been in the sunshine state for over 3 years now and wanted to share how I got here. 
Do your research!
Before I moved I went to Barnes and Noble and bought 3 books on Florida. I needed questions answered and to make sure this move was the right one for me.  A lot of people want to move to places because they are popular. I had done this with my first move and ended up hating it. I highly suggest research! I knew so much about this state before I came here that it helped ease the anxiety of moving and not knowing anyone besides a handful of people. 
Evaluate where you already live.
I moved from the Midwest to the very popular South Florida.  That transition was extremely difficult. I went from paying 800 for a huge townhome with a private basement to paying 1800 for a small condo.  I didn’t realize just how good I had it.  When I moved I actually thought I was well off, living in a city where everything is cheap will do that to you.  It’s not until I moved amongst millionaires that I realized I was low middle class.  That was a huge eye opener. I also knew the ends and outs to where I grew up, making it easy to bounce back from failure.  All the books in the world can’t save you from failing in a new environment. 
Save Money
To save money I took on a second job a year prior to my move. I made sure it was a job I loved so that going to it wouldn’t be a problem.  All the money I made at that second gig I kept for the move.  I’m happy I did this, in bigger cities, three times the rent or more is usually requested at the time of move in. This especially applies to those coming from other states.  Not being from where you’re moving automatically puts you at high risk. I had to evaluate how much I would make in sales against the costs of shipping our belongings and my car across the country.  Shipping was pretty pricey so I put everything except our clothes and shoes on Craigslist and Letgo.  It’s better to start fresh anyway, especially, moving somewhere new. With all the money I earned in my sales I knew I would be able to purchase the essentials after my move in. Although I was saving all this money on the side, I used my regular salary to pay off bills in Milwaukee.  I made the bad decision to just up and leave on my first relocation.  When I returned I had to pay off all my debts before I could find my daughter and I a place to live. Working toward a higher credit score definitely worked in my favor.  I was able to move into a nice sized condo with just a thousand dollar deposit.  Utility companies where I live require deposits as well, but these funds are refunded after good payment history.  Those refunds came in handy.  
My advice to you
You can move anywhere, but the odds of your success will be much higher with a car, job and a place to stay prior to your move, even if it’s an extended stay hotel.  If you’re used to your own space, I highly suggest that you don’t move in with someone “until you get on your feet”.  This hardly ever works and will ruin your relationship with the person that takes you in.  I also suggest you have plane tickets purchased to go back home for the holidays the first year. Spending the holidays alone that first year was rough on us. We missed our family and friends. 
If I had to do anything different it would’ve been to limit activities. I got here and did so much in my first year that I forgot that I had to get used to paying almost 3k a month in bills.  This would’ve helped me avoid borrowing money from family and selling Christian Louboutins and handbags to get back on track. I get sick to my stomach thinking about my barely worn ‘So Kates’ that I had to let go! 
All in all I’m happy I moved.  The level of peace is uncanny. I love how the state is so college driven and how close we are to HBCUs. We came from one of the most segregated cities in the country to one filled with culture and diversity. I think that kind of exposure is important for kids growing up.  I never would’ve guessed I’d be house hunting somewhere other than the place I grew up.  It’s exciting. Lastly, relocating doesn’t mean you hate where you’re from, it just means you’re ready for a change, and change is GOOD! I hope where you chose to go works out for you, and if it doesn’t, trust me you will learn from it and ease right in to your next move. Safe travels!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love after a Fuck Boy/Girl

So you finally did it. You finally ended that bittersweet toxic relationship and it probably took you 20 tries to get it right. None of that matters. Only thing that matters now is you’re free. If you’ve been in this situation like I have, you know leaving that person alone is actually easier than moving on. It’s funny because I know that you’ve picked yourself up, stared at yourself in the mirror like: “It’s on”, “I’m about to fuck the summer up”, “I’m out here”.    You bought all the nicest outfits, reinvented your entire look, bought tickets to the hottest beaches and had a great couple of months after your breakup.  One day, after all the fun and all the trips, something triggered you. Whether it was a holiday, a wedding, or a baby shower. Something clicked, and you’re like ok I’m ready to try this shit again.  Now that you've established that you’re ready to start dating again.  You get the ball rolling however you do it.  Sliding in DM’s, Tinder, Airdrop in the c

Toxicity 1•20•2019

So we are over half way through the first month of 2019.    How many people have you actually cut off like you told all of your social media followers you would?    If your answer is no don’t feel bad.    You’re only a small percent of the millions of people being victimized by toxicity.    I also have been blinded by toxic friends, lovers, jobs and family members.    Whether you like to admit it or not, keeping toxicity around us rubs off.    You may not realize it, but because of your interactions with toxic situations and toxic people, you have acquired some toxic traits.    Hopefully after reading this article we will all start the process of removing toxicity from our lives, but I hope we also are able to identify our own toxic characteristics and avoid victimizing other people and being apart of the never ending circle. There are so many toxic situations surrounding us but the most popular are friends, lovers, family members and jobs.    Within all of these situations I’